Translate

Monday, January 3, 2011

Goodbye Christmas Decorations

 Somehow when I went back into my first posting to add a title, the post was wiped away!  Thanks to saving it in WORD, I was able to recover it through a little copying and pasting.  :)  So-yesterday, January 2nd was actually my first post. 

Do you like to prolong the Christmas season by leaving the tree and decorations up well after the New Year or do you chomp at the bit like me to take things down?  

At the beginning of the new year, I get anxious to hunker down and pursue the projects that have had to sit on the back burner since the carefree days of summer, the busy days of the Fall and the all consuming month of December- when everything revolves around preparation for Christmas.  Once the decorations are put away I feel FREE to take on a decorating project, make a hardback lampshade from my wonderful vintage embroidered remnants or organize disheveled  closets and drawers.  Oh yes- and get back to listing in my Etsy store.  www.vintageculler.etsy.com

Today I couldn't hold back any longer!  Although I am in the middle of taking the decorations down, I couldn't wait to jump into my first project!  

I have been wanting to make couch cushion slipcovers for months.  The reason being that when I redecorated our living room a few years ago, the dark couches needed to be covered to make way for a lighter, brighter room.  At that time I purchase two ready made white/natural couch covers.  The problem is that they need to be tucked and re-tucked every time anyone sits on them because they go over the cushions!  My solution is to cover just the cushions in a natural pebble cloth which coordinates nicely with the covers.  This should prevent the covers from shifting so much by placing the cushions on TOP of the cover.

Today, in between removing ornaments from the tree and pine needles from the cracks in the floorboards, I started pre-shrinking the fabric so I can begin to sew.  The first step is always to pre-shrink your fabric so that you don't end up at the end of all of your hard work with slipcovers that fit like your jeans after the holidays!
I will post pictures of the project as it progresses.


For now, this is what my dining room and living room tables look like.  I can just hear my mother saying "Cindy- you need to finish your chores before playing"!  I often remember thinking, "I can't wait to grow up so I can be my own boss".  I should have taken heed.   
    


My daughter, Abby,  will forever be a part of our Christmases.  We will cherish the sweet memories of her and her loving, generous spirit.  She always found such joy in giving to her family and friends!  We miss her so much!  January 14, 1981 - May 30, 2009







No comments: